Monday, December 05, 2005

My Close Encounter with Death

Today I worked in Columbus, Georgia. Rather large city. I was installing a beta product my company makes. The device is called an R900i . Basically, it is a combination water meter and radio. It automatically gets a water usage reading and sends the reading off into the ether through the radio. The idea being that a meter reader guy/girl drives around the neighbor with a receiver and gets the reading for the entire neighborhood. Anyway, the point of the picture is that I bumped into a pair of these "lovely ladies" just inside the box that is usually out in your front yard. The spiders were in two different boxes and right near where I have to stick my finger into the lid to pull it out of the ground. Freakish ... and what's more freakish is that even after seeing the first aracnid, I kept going!!!! Well, thankfully I wasn't bit and it looks like round two and three are scheduled for tomorrow and Wednesday. At least its getting me out of my desk job! Hmmm ... sit safely at work and build awesome prototype products for my company, or go stick my hand into your water meter pits and risk life and limb ... one installer said he spotted a rattlesnake inside of one of the meter pits in Opelika, Alabama on a different occasion. There is no such thing as a nice spider ... Charlotte that includes you! Posted by Picasa

No comments: